Saturday, January 19, 2013

Homemade Tooth Paste


Home made tooth paste? Really? Yes, really. And simple too! I have found many different ways to make it, but I ended up doing it this way, because it just made more sense to me. After some trial and error I feel have reached a mixture I am happy with.






Just mix equal parts coconut oil, xylitol, and baking soda. I did 1/4 cup of each. Then I added about 18-20 drops of spearmint oil to take the edge off the saltiness of the baking soda as well as to make my mouth feel fresher.

COCONUT OIL:  Has anti microbial and anti viral properties.

XYLITOL: Is an all natural sweetner, and is helpful in reducing plaque, has antimicrobial properties, and helps prevent tooth decay.

BAKING SODA: Plaque remover, whitener, cleans teeth and gums, helps prevent infections, and neutralizes acids in your mouth.

SPEARMINT/PEPPERMINT OIL: Adds to taste and helps take away the saltiness of the baking soda. It is also and antiseptic and helps remove bad breath.





As you can see it has a consistency similar to mashed potatoes. Just scoop onto your tooth brush to use. I will say, it takes a little getting used to. If you expect the same sudsy bath you give your teeth with regular store bought tooth paste you will be disappointed. But your teeth will feel clean after using it.

My husband was a little unsure at first, but soon was on board. Our son, well, not so much. But we'll keep working on him. If your kids still swallow their toothpaste I wouldn't really recommend the use of essential oils until you have researched them and are comfortable in doing so.

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment