Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Play- Doh

I always like to find a way to save money. I don't know anyone who doesn't really. A great way to save money is to make things yourself. That is why I began making my own playdoh for my son. Buying from the store will add up quick, but why spend extra money on playdoh from the store when you can make it from everything you already have in your pantry!

This is a recipe that I have found that worked really great for us. This recipe can last a long time depending on how often it is used.


Play-Doh Recipe

3 c. flour
1 c. salt
6 tsp. cream of tartar
3 c. water
3 Tbsp vegetable oil
food coloring (optional)

Mix flour, salt, cream of tartar in large sauce pan. 
In a bowl mix together water and oil then add to sauce pan.
Cook over medium heat stirring constantly until it thickens.
Add food coloring cook about five minutes.
Take out of pan and knead on a cutting board for a few minutes.


This is super easy to do and makes a lot! It is not recommended to eat, not because it isn't safe, but it is extremely salty. It is also a great way to get your kids involved by allowing them help with the process depending on their age! Have fun and enjoy!



2 comments:

  1. Love the pictures! I made my die hard play dough recipe for Preston once, and he threw up from "tasting" too much! I think I'll wait to do it again for a few months!

    P.S. I have a non-cook one with almost the same stuff, minus the cream of tartar, if you ever want to try...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I am always open to ideas!

    ReplyDelete