Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Broken Bone...

Saturday before last Josie fell, partway down the stairs. I was upstairs and Nick was downstairs and had just told her to go back up stairs. She started up, but then something went wrong and she fell. When she landed and I rounded the corner at the top of the landing she was on her belly facing up at me. I thought for sure she had split her lip or something. I checked her chin and mouth and there was no bleeding so we were relieved.

After consoling her for a time she calmed down and everything seemed fine. The next morning she wasn't feeling well at all. She had been fighting a bad cold for several days already and we thought she was just getting worse. She was very lethargic, and didn't want to play. She wanted to snuggle, which is out of the ordinary for her, but we figured she was just sick. Nick stayed home with her while I went to a baby shower. Towards the end of the evening she was still tired and snuggly. We put her to bed like normal.

The next morning she was doing a little better. She was playing some, but her nose was still runny. All the rest of the week she had a runny snotty nose. Since she wasn't feeling well there was a couple days she didn't even get out of her jammies and we just let her lounge and rest. "

Friday morning I lay her on her floor to change her and I spotted a bruise and large bump on top of her shoulder. It didn't look very good and concerned me so I called Nick at work and told him we should get it looked at. So, that afternoon, Nick came home early and we took her into the walk in clinic since our pediatrician was gone for the day. The doctor at the clinic took one look and said, "It's her collar bone."

So, Nick went back with her to get x-rays. She didn't like that much. No surprise really. She doesn't hold still for very long. When they came back, Nick said she had a broken collar bone. All the lab techs and the doctor all said, "Wow, that's a bad break!" And by being broke and half and overlapping, I'd say they were right. Poor girl!

I had so much guilt over it because it took a whole week to notice something was wrong. But looking back I don't know how we'd have known any earlier. She already wasn't feeling good, she'd had baths, she'd been changed, although she is usually standing when I get her dressed. Her hair must have covered it at times. I don't know, but I wish I did.

We went to see an Orthopedic doctor today and she didn't seem to concerned about it. There isn't much you can do for a broken collar bone apart from wearing a brace, but since she was using her arm still and pulling herself up with it, she felt it wasn't needed.

We go back in three weeks to see how well it is healing, but she is doing great. We just have to be careful that she doesn't fall on it again or bump it hard so it doesn't undo what has already healed.

Honestly, I'm not all that surprised that she broke a bone. Although, I don't think she was trying to be a dare devil at the time she was just tired and sick, it was only a matter of time. With all the climbing she does, I'm more surprised it hasn't happened sooner. I guess we will have our work cut out for us as she gets older!

No comments:

Post a Comment